Virtual Activity Center
Welcome to the Alamogordo Family Recreation Center’s Virtual Activity & Resource Center! This is a great place to find educational and fun things to do during your time stuck at home! We will provide various resources to promote wellness, learning, and entertainment for our youth and families. Follow the City of Alamogordo on Facebook for updates and new ideas.
Please note that we do not endorse, collect payment on behalf of or receive funds to advertise any of the third-party websites or services listed or referenced on this page.
Click on any of the links below to find activities that promote health and staying active!
Connect with Games & Movement
We know it’s difficult to get your brain and body moving in these cooped up times. This section should help alleviate any mental or physical blues!
Winter is here! which makes it a wonderful time to stay home and enjoy a board game with the family.
Ideas handpicked by staff:
- indoor bean-bag games
- Cosmic Kids Yoga Keep your body moving with Cosmic Kids Yoga on YouTube.
- Inside Outdoor Field Hockey Turn your backyard into your very own Disney’s Inside Out playground.
- Make a Giant Jenga Game! Get the entire family involved by making and playing with this DIY giant soft Jenga game.
- Twist n Shout! Speaking of DIY lawn games, try this at home Summer Twister, perfect for the lawn.
- When all else fails: fill up some water balloons! Beat the heat with a water balloon hunt, fun for the entire family!
- Day of Play
- Indoor games for kids & families
Staff suggested game:
Pillow-fort Capture the Flag
What You Need: Pillows, Blankets, two "flags" (Bandannas, socks, t-shirts, or anything of the sort will work), open space to play. (added bonus items: any foam-dart guns.)
What You Do:
- Divide the players into two equal teams.
- Have each team build an awesome Pillow-fort, to hide their flag in, then each team will send players to capture the other team’s flag. Other players should guard your team’s flag.
- If members of the other team enter your team’s zone, you can tag them and send them to “jail” (a part of your fort where the jailed player will sit out until freed. Players can be freed from jail when a teammate touches them.
- A team wins by capturing the other team’s flag and taking it back to there Pillow-fort.
Stimulate your mind:
Here are a few free resources to help stimulate your mind while at home. Try out a few of these games and let us know what you think of them.
Connect with Nature
Grab your jacket, gloves, and a scarf. Winter is here and Nature is still worth exploring!
Links to other ways to connect with nature
- The Do's and Don'ts of Risky Play
- Plan A Fun Day Of En Plein Air Painting
- Create a sun print with household kid items
- Get messy with your little ones and create a Mud Soup
- Make a cool flower mat
- Start a Virtual Garden!
- diy Solar Oven
- Upcycled Plastic Bottles Planters
- Butterfly Feeder for Garden
- DIY Bird House/feeder
Connect with Artistic Expression
When we can’t find the words – – art it out! Get creative and be heard!
- Origami projects
- Northern Lights Chalk Pastel Project
- Play Dough Turkey Activity
- Art in Action
- PBS Kids Craft
- Penny Paper Spinners
- Watermelon Paper Fan
- Paint with Ice
- Perspective Drawing
- Basic Color-Theory
- Artful Parent
- Glow-in-Dark Jellyfish
- Making Handmade Postcards
We’d like to share with you
Connect with the Senses
These demanding times call for getting in touch with our human roots through sight, sound, taste, smell, and feel!
- Melted Snowman in a Jar
- Dancing Corn
- optics4kids.org - illusions
- DIY Mason-Jar Lava-Lamps
- Taste the world - 41 Easy recipes
- Ice-cream in a Bag
- Healthy snacks on a Budget
- Snack time for both kids and adults
Connect with Community
Check out what local organizations are doing these days!
- Alamogordo Senior Center
- Alamogordo Public Library
- AFRC Swimming Pool
- Desert Lakes Golf
- Keep Alamogordo Beautiful See what Keep Alamogordo Beautiful is up to these days!
In the holiday spirit? Please consider viewing our fellow COA Amazon Wish lists:
Family Virtual Field Trip
You don’t need to leave your house to take a quick family trip around the world. Here are a few fun places to check out with the family from the comfort of your home!