City Attorney FAQs

  • Can the City Attorney represent private citizens?
    • No. The City Attorney’s Office serves as the representation for City government and City officials, not individual citizens.
  • Who does the City Attorney work for?
    • Under the City Charter the City Attorney is directly appointed by and serves at the pleasure of the City Manager. The primary role of the City Attorney is to provide legal representation to the City’s elected and appointed officials, the City Manager and City departments, boards and commissions, as well as managing the legal matters that involve the City government in its day-to-day operations, and for the prosecution of the misdemeanor crimes that occur within the City limits.
  • What is the difference between the City Attorney and the District Attorney?
    • The City Attorney's office prosecutes violations of the Alamogordo Code of Ordinances that occur within City limits. The District Attorney's office handles all violations of New Mexico State Law.
  • How do I meet with City Attorney?
    • Please call 575-439-4210 to request a meeting to discuss your city related issue with the City Attorney.
  • Where do I locate the City of Alamogordo Code?
  • Where should I take complaints against a City department?
    • In general, if you think a City department is doing something it should not, or not doing something it should, you should contact the head of that department. Because other City departments have their own heads, the City Attorney typically only becomes involved when the managers and directors of each department have already been contacted and the matter has attempted to be resolved.
  • Where is the Alamogordo Municipal Court located?
    • 1376 E Ninth Street Alamogordo, NM. 88310
  • Who do I contact if I want to discuss my case prior to trial if I am not represented by an attorney?
    • Call the City Attorney’s Office at 575-439-4210.
  • When can I talk to the Judge?
    • Individuals have the opportunity to speak with the Judge during arraignment. However, if at arrangement an individual pleads not guilty, the Judge cannot hear any of the details involving the incident, as the matter will be set for trial. After pleading not guilty, trial will be next time an individual is afforded the opportunity to speak with the Judge.
  • How do I change my plea?
    • After appearing for arrangement, if an individual elects to change their plea, they may contact the Alamogordo Municipal Court directly at 575-439-4225.
  • How do I pay my fine?
    • If the "Penalty Assessment" box is marked at the bottom on a citation, an individual has 30 days to pay their fine from the date they received the citation. Citation(s) may also be paid in advance of the Traffic Arraignment date by:
      • Paying the citation/court fines online at CitepayUSA by credit card or electronic check. An individual must have the case number or citation number for payment. (Additional fees may apply.)
      • Mailing payment along with the citation(s) to:
        Alamogordo Municipal Court
        1376 E Ninth Street
        Alamogordo, New Mexico 88310
        (The court is not responsible for mail delays)
      • Placing payment in the Drop Off Box located in front of the North Entrance of the City Hall Building.
      • Paying in person at the Municipal Court office between the hours of 8 a.m. and 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday. Municipal Court is closed for lunch between the hours of 12:00 p.m. and 1:15 p.m. Hours may vary.
  • How much will paying my citation cost me?
    • Please see the link below concerning the cost of speeding tickets and other traffic violations.
    • Paying Citations
  • When is my trial date?
    • After appearing for arraignment and pleading not guilty, the court will hand an individual a piece of paper containing their trial date.
  • Why is it important that I provide the court with my correct contact information?
    • This is vital and cannot be stressed enough. Putting the correct contact information on court forms allows the Court and City Attorney’s Office the opportunity to communicate regarding any changes to your pending trial.
    • It is the individual’s responsibility to make sure that the Court is aware of any address changes from the address on the traffic citation and/or complaint and a telephone number where the court can contact defendant.
  • How Do I Subpoena My Witnesses for Trial?
    • If you plan on using witnesses, subpoenas may be obtained from the Clerk of the Municipal Court.
  • What happens if I am unable to make my trial date?
    • If you are unable to make your trial date, it is important that you provide advanced notice to the City Attorney. Continuances may be granted depending on the circumstances and with advanced notice.
  • Helpful Links